Baking soda, commonly known as sodium bicarbonate, is a common ingredient in many baked goods and today we will tell you the 60 best uses of baking soda.
This is because it has leavening qualities, which means it produces carbon dioxide, which enables the dough to rise.
Bicarbonate of soda or baking soda has many different uses in the household. Aside from cooking, baking soda has a slew of other uses around the house.Uses of Baking Soda
Although much more expensive products have been developed over the years to do the same jobs, baking soda can work for you just as well, if not better. Use it in the following ways:
Here are 60 Benefits and Uses of Baking Soda
1. To make your own baking powder, stir and sift together 2 parts of Cream of Tartar to 1 part baking soda and 1 part cornstarch.
2. Be sure to keep an extra box of baking soda by your stove in case of grease or electrical fire. Scatter the powder by the handful to safely put it out.
3. Keep a container of baking soda in your garage as well as in your car to put out a fire. It won’t damage anything it touches.
4. Baking soda will also put out fires in clothing, fuel, wood, upholstery, and rugs.
5. Clean vegetables and fruit with baking soda. Sprinkle in water, soak and rise the produce.
Best Uses of Baking Soda: High Blood Pressure Warning
Sodium bicarbonate might increase blood pressure. People who already have high blood pressure should avoid sodium bicarbonate.
6. Wash garbage cans with baking soda.
7. Soak and wash diapers with baking soda.
8. Oil and grease-stained clothing washes out better with soda added to the washing water.
9. Clean your fridge and freezer with dry soda sprinkled on a damp cloth. rinse with clear water.
10. Deodorize your fridge and freezer by putting in an open container of baking soda to absorb odors. Stir and turn over the soda from time to time. Replace every 2 months.
11. Soda absorbs kitty litter odors. Cover the bottom of the kitty box with 1 part soda; then add a layer of 3 parts kitty litter on top.
12. Always add 1/2 cup soda to your washing machine load.
13. Clean combs and brushes in a soda solution.
14. Wash food and drink containers with soda and water.
If your refrigerator smells funny, put an open box or container of baking soda in it to get rid of the odor. Baking soda absorbs odor molecules from the air, assisting in the neutralization of aromas that can accumulate in your refrigerator.Best Uses of Baking Soda
15. Wash marble-topped furniture with a solution of 3 tablespoons of soda in 1 quart of warm water. Let stand awhile, then rinse.
16. Clean Formica countertops with baking soda on a damp sponge.
17. Wash out thermos bottles and cooling containers with soda and water to get rid of stale smells.
18. To remove stubborn stains from marble, Formica, or plastic surfaces, scour with a paste of soda and water.
19. Wash glass or stainless steel coffee pots (but not aluminum) in a soda solution ( 3 tbsp. soda to 1-quart water).
20. Run your, coffee maker, through its cycle with a soda solution. Rinse.
Continue Reading Best Uses of Baking Soda:
21. Give baby bottles a good cleaning with soda and hot water.
22. Sprinkle soda on barbecue grills, let soak, then rinse off.
23. Sprinkle soda on the greasy garage floor. Let stand, scrub, and rinse.
24. Polish silverware with dry soda on a damp cloth. Rub, rinse and dry.
25. For silver pieces without raised patterns or cemented-on handles: place the silver on aluminum foil in an enamel pot. Add boiling water and 4 tbsp. baking soda. Let stand, rinse, and dry.
26. Reduce odor build-up in your dishwasher by sprinkling some soda on the bottom.
27. Run your dishwasher through its cycle with soda instead of soap to give it a good cleaning.
28. To remove burned-on food from a pan: let the pan soak in soda and water for 10 minutes before washing. Or scrub the pot with dry soda and a moist scouring pad.
Uses of Baking Soda: Eliminate Garbage Odor
Baking soda can assist in the removal of waste odors. Because these odors are frequently acidic, baking soda can interact with them and neutralize them.
29. For a badly-burned pan with a thick layer of burned-on food: pour a thick layer of soda directly onto the bottom of the pan, then sprinkle on just enough water so as to moisten the soda. Leave the pot overnight, then scrub it clean the next day.
30. Rub stainless steel and chrome with a moist cloth and dry baking soda to shine it up. Rinse and dry. On stainless steel, scrub in the direction of the grain.
31. Clean plastic, porcelain, and glass with dry soda on a damp cloth. Rinse and dry.
32. Remove that bad smell from ashtrays with soda and water.
33. Sprinkle a bit of dry soda in your ashtrays to prevent smoldering and reduce odor.
34. Clean your bathroom with dry soda on a moist sponge – sink, tub, tiles, shower stall, etc.
Baking soda is a natural deodorizer and amphoteric, which means it can dissolve and neutralize substances as both an acid and a base.Best Uses of Baking Soda
35. Keep your drains clean and free-flowing by putting 4 tablespoons of soda in them each week. Flush the soda down with hot water.
36. Soak your shower curtains in water and soda to clean them.
37. To remove strong odors from your hands, wet your hands and rub them hard with soda, then rinse.
38. Sprinkle baking soda on your wet toothbrush and brush your teeth and dentures with it.
39. Sprinkle soda in tennis shoes, socks, boots, and slippers to eliminate odor.
40. Add 1/2 cup or more of baking soda to your bath water to soften your skin.
41. Putting 2 tbsp. of baking soda in your baby’s bath water will help relieve diaper rash irritations.
42. Apply soda directly to insect bites, rashes, and poison ivy to relieve discomfort. Make a paste with water.
43. Take a soda bath to relieve general skin irritations such as measles and chickenpox.
44. Take 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda in 1/2 glass of water to relieve acid indigestion or heartburn.
45. Gargle with 1/2 tsp. baking soda in 1/2 glass of water. Freshens and cleans your mouth.
46. Used as a mouthwash, baking soda will also relieve canker sore pain.
47. To relieve sunburn: use a paste of baking soda and water.
48. Bug bites: use a poultice of baking soda and vinegar.
49. Bee sting: use a poultice of baking soda and water.
50. Windburns: moisten some baking soda and apply directly.
51. Making Play Clay with baking soda: combine 1 1/4 cups water, 2 cups soda, 1 cup cornstarch.
50. Use soda as an underarm deodorant.
53. If your baby spits up on his shirt after feeding, moisten a cloth, dip it in baking soda, and dab at the dribbled shirt. Tho odor will go away.
54. When scalding a chicken, add 1 tsp. of soda to the boiling water. The feathers will come off easier and flesh will be clean and white.
Taking sodium bicarbonate by mouth in high doses is possibly unsafe.Best Uses of Baking Soda
55. Repel rain from windshield. Put gobs of baking soda on a dampened cloth and wipe windows inside and out.
56. Add water to soak dried beans to make them more digestible.
57. Add to water to remove the “gamey” taste from the wild game.
58.Use to sweeten sour dishcloths.
59. Use dry with a small brush to rub canvas handbags clean.
60. Use to remove melted plastic bread wrapper from the toaster. Dampen cloth and make a mild abrasive with baking soda.
Final Thoughts on Best Uses of Baking Soda
However, don’t use it to clean aluminum because sodium bicarbonate can produce an unfavorable reaction in the highly reactive metal.
Do you think we have missed any uses of baking soda? Do you have a baking soda use that we didn’t think of? Please comment below.